Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"When I discover Who I am I'll be Free!"


When I was a sophmore in highschool, I painted this picture. My watercolor class was instructed to paint a picture based on the quote given. I drew this quote: "When I discover Who I am, I'll be free" by Ralph Ellison. I don't know who Ralph Ellison is, but this quote, changed my life. Let me tell you why.

Fastforward three years. I'm a freshman in college. There were so many people around me who I admired and aspired to be. So I became the person I thought they wanted me to be, a person that would be good enough for them. I wanted to be accepted, I didn't care what pieces of me were lost.

Fastforward. I'm now a sophmore in college. The friends I had freshman year, gone. Nothing was the same. I felt lost, disconnected. I attached to someone who did not help me grow in the gospel, in fact, held me back from the gospel. I changed to what he wanted me to be, so I could feel acceptance once again.

Fastforward. Over the next year to where we meet right now in the present, a lot of soul searching has been done. And I have realized this: I never was who I wanted to be, ever in my life. So while I have always LoVeD this quote, I've never actually taken it to heart, until recently.

In the past few months, I have discovered not only who I am, but who I want to be, who I can be, and most importantly: who I don't want to be.

I am now free.

No comments:

Post a Comment