This hasn't always been the case. For many years, I never could look at pictures of myself without distaste and disgust. I hated looking in the mirror, because I failed to see what I needed to.
Then, about 4 years ago, something happened. I was a freshman here at Utah State. I had the most amazing FHE dad, who could see the beauty that was blocked from my vision, and would express what he saw, to me.
One day, I looked in the mirror, and I saw beauty. For the first time, really, in my life, I saw beauty staring back. I pulled my FHE dad aside, and I told him, "David, guess what? As I was getting ready in the vanity with Lura today, I just stopped and stared at myself, and do you know what I said?"
And David replied, "'I'm beautiful.'"
I looked at him with surprise and exclaimed "Yes!" In which immediately following he wrapped his arms around me and said, "Tiffany, you are beautiful! I'm going to tell you that everyday!"
That is one of my best memories, a good coming of age story if you will.
Anyway, that girl I saw 4 years ago, was the girl I saw tonight. There was a year or two in between then and now that I didn't see her, but I do now.
I see her all the time, in fact. Even with no makeup on my face and my hair pulled back, I see her.
And I like the Girl staring back at me.


No comments:
Post a Comment