Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Healthy


Last year I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer.

Last year around this time I was so lethargic and tired that I could barely muster myself out of bed to go to class. It was a chore. I had a difficult time, and I just thought it was stresses of life.

Last year, I was planning on going to Pennsylvania for summer work. It was through this job they found the malfunctioning thyroid.
The symptoms were abundant, I was just oblivious. My hair hadn't grown in a long time, and had lost all of its color turning a mouse-y gray. My skin was dry, I gained 20 lbs in a month while in an aerobics class, and my eyebrows would all come out at simple tug.

None of these symptoms really screamed "Something's Wrong!" (except the aerobics and gaining weight) so until my doctor pointed them out, I was clueless.

Well, turns out the cancer was benign, so I didn't need to have it removed unless it started to grow.

I cut my hair and dyed it. I figured I might as well, seein's how it was so unhealthy anyway. I started taking a thyroid supplement, and my body is energized and alert.
This picture was right after I cut it, the night we dyed it. You can see the lack of color and healthiness.

Now, almost a year after all of these incidents, I looked at myself in the mirror. I stared at my eyebrows, and for the first time in over a year, realized how badly they needed plucking. My roommate and I were just taking pictures for fun, and I saw how shiny and long my hair has gotten, even after cutting it since the short cut it was a few (11) months ago.

This is a picture from tonight. My hair has been cut/trimmed 5 times since the previous picture. Also notice, my hair is curled in this picture.

You can see the difference in these two pictures. Not just in the hair, but in my face. My face is thinner now than it was then, and my eyes are less tired and worn-out looking. My eyebrows are also much thicker, even after I plucked them out for close to an hour tonight.

PS- the fact that I'm making the exact same face is merely a coincidence... I think that's just my camera face.

No comments:

Post a Comment