Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Zealand

I think I've mentioned it quite a bit on here now, but I am going to New Zealand to student teach.

10 weeks from today actually, I will be boarding a plane to head to a land close to down under. (I would say down under, but calling a Kiwi [new zealander] an Australian is the biggest insult EVER).

I'm really excited, and I'm really happy I went ahead and went through with my decision to go down there. It's completely out of my comfort zone and something completely unexpected for me to do.

I had decided not to go. For about a week or so in September. I just decided I couldn't afford it, and that it really was a long time in another country, etc.

But when I was talking to my good friend Ryan on a date we embarked upon to get yummy Aggie Ice Cream, I realized I needed to go.

I realized I would regret not going for the rest of my life. My mom always talks about all the things she regrets. I hardly ever hear her talk about the things she's proud of, and happy she did do. Which made me realized that in 1o or 20 or even 2 years, I didn't want to be my mom, talking about all the things I could have done, and how I could have gone to New Zealand and I could have done this or that, but didn't.

So I took a proactive approach to the situation. I decided I was going to go. I filled out the study abroad application, paid the $100 bucks (for the application) and applied for my passport, all within 24 hours.

The trip is about $5000, and I didn't work as much this summer, so again I decided it was worth it to go into educational debt to go to New Zealand. I had zero debt at the beggining of the school year, and decided it wasn't horrible to go into debt for NZ. So I applied for student loans.

Now I'm going. I keep having emotional roller coasters regarding this decision and the advice I keep getting about luggage and money and whatever else. But I'm glad I'm going. I'm glad I don't regret applying, and I know I won't regret going, (once I get there).


PS- If any of you have any advice as far as money and luggage and etc. let me know! I'm going to be there for about 9 weeks, so that's something to take into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment