Monday, January 10, 2011

A Dollar A Day

So I was reading a blog a while back. A friend of an acquaintance if you will.

Anyway, she talked about how she only spends a dollar for every day/use of an item.

I really like this. It helps me put into perspective how much I'm paying for something. Not that I've ever had a hard time, because I don't stop in a store until I hit the clearance rack anyway, but I really like this idea.

I think sometimes I overspend. Whatever the case may be. Probably mostly clothes and shoes (although lately, I feel that I'm paying a good deal of $$$$$$$ on food, which is kind of depressing to think about.) So when I read her reasoning, I kind of agreed.

So I have a new philosophy of spending. I have to look at the cost, and then decide if I will use that item as much as I'm spending.

I think, sadly, this will be easy for me for clothing. I spend $20 I wear it 20 times, I think I can do that. But it'll be the bigger ticket items to come up in my life fairly soon (furniture and electronics and whatever else comes with moving into an apartment and living on your own.) I'm going to have to start reasoning out couches and tvs and tables to see if they're really worth my hard earned teacher's salary to pay for.

It has already put my thinking into perspective.

Story. I was looking at movies with my roommate (not for me, but she wanted to look at them, because anyone who knows me KNOWS I only buy movies the day after Thanksgiving. Bargain.) Anyway, I was looking at these movies that are 15-30 dollars, and thinking there's no way people ACTUALLY watch those movies 15+ times. I thought about my own movie collection and wondered about how many times I watch my movies. Of course, for my brother he gets more than his money's worth on a few movies, such as Bolt and Monsters, INC. because my niece and nephew LOVE those 2 movies and will sit and watch them as long as they're playing.

I just did a visual count of the movies I have here with me at college and it's somewhere around 80 movies, unless I counted wrong. That's crazy! Good thing I only spend $2 on most of them huh? (minus a few of them that were gifts such as my Harry Potter collection and Disney movies) But even still, if all of those movies were only $2 (they're not, some were much more than that) that's still $160. That's a lot of money on something you can't do a lot with, really. It's entertainment, sure. But you can't really do anything productive with them.

Just some (expensive) food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment